Lord Browne is Partner and Managing Director of Riverstone Holdings LLC and the Government’s Lead Non-Executive Director. He was President of the Royal Academy of Engineering 2006–2011 and is current Chairman of the Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering. He served as Chief Executive of BP plc from 1995–2007 and on a variety of corporate boards, including Intel and Goldman Sachs. Lord Browne was a Trustee of the British Museum from 1995–2005, Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Cambridge Judge Business School until June 2010, and is now Chairman of the International Advisory Board of the Blavatnik School of Government in Oxford. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society, the Royal Academy of Engineering, and the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Lord Browne joined the Board of Trustees in August 2007 and was appointed Chairman in January 2009.
Why I wanted to become a Tate Trustee
For as long as I can remember I have been passionate about the arts. To me, the Tate represents all that is best about the thriving cultural sector in London.
I hope to use my experience to assist the management and other Trustees to keep the Tate in its pre-eminent position.
I want to see the Tate continue to expand and build on its collections and exhibitions so that all in our community are able to have flexible access and learn to see and want to see more.
Appointed by: Prime Minister
Appointment: 1 August 2007 (appointed Chairman 21 January 2009)
Term expires: 31 July 2011
Re-appointment: 1 August 2011
Term expires: 31 July 2015
- Governance and People Committee (Chairman)
- Finance and Operations Committee
- Millbank Development Committee
- Trustee of Tate Foundation
Declaration of Members’ Interests between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014
Chairman, Accenture Global Energy Board
Chairman, Mubadala Oil and Gas International Advisory Board
Chairman, Stanhope Capital Advisory Board
Member, Deutsche Bank Advisory Board for Climate Change
Member, Deutsche Bank Europe Advisory Board
Member, PCCW Group of Advisers
Member, Schlumberger Business Consulting Advisory Group
Directorships of companies2
Managing Director and Managing Partner (Europe), Riverstone LLC
Director, CODA Automotive Inc.
Director, Cuardilla Resources Holdings Ltd.
Membership of non-profit making organisations3
Government Lead Non-Executive Board Member
Lead Non-Executive Board Member, Cabinet Office
Business Ambassador, UKTI
Chairman, Performance Theatre Advisory Group
Vice President, Flora and Fauna International
Chairman, Advisory Board, Blavatnik School of Government, Oxford
Chairman of the Trustees, Queen Elizabeth II Prize for Engineering
Chairman of the Advisory Board, Russian Museum, St Petersburg
Connections between Trustees and others connected with Tate5
Any other interests6
Signed by The Lord Browne of Madingley on 4 April 2014
- 1. Employment, remunerated trade, profession, public office or consultancy
- 2. Directorships of companies, both public and private, both remunerated and unremunerated
- 3. Membership of non-profit making organisations, clubs or associations and professional bodies which have significant dealings with Tate or whose activities could relate to Tate’s work
- 4. Names of companies and organisations in which the member or his/her family or associates has a controlling interest or shares or securities and which could be involved in the supply of goods or have business dealings with Tate
- 5. This includes commercial interests with other Trustees, Tate’s lawyers (Withers; Linklaters; Farrers; Finers Stephens Innocent) and Tate’s auditors (National Audit Office, RSM Tenon and Grant Thornton).
- 6. Trustees are advised to declare anything which a member of the public, knowing the facts, might reasonably think is significant and relevant.