Hannah Rothschild is an author, journalist, filmmaker and company director.
Her biography The Baroness was published in the UK, the USA and other territories. She has contributed to books on travel, film and television. Her features and interviews appear in Vanity Fair, The New York Times, The Telegraph, The Spectator, Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. She has written screenplays for Ridley Scott and Working Title. Her profiles of artists, writers and politicians appear on the BBC, HBO and PBS and at film festivals including London, Telluride, Sheffield and Tribeca.
She is a non-executive director of various quoted and unquoted companies and a board member and trustee of charitable foundations including the National Gallery, Waddesdon Manor and the co-founder of the Artist on Film Trust. She has lectured on art and film at the Getty Centre, Los Angeles, the Courtauld Institute, The Prince’s Drawing School and the RA.
Why I wanted to become a Tate trustee
As the National Gallery’s representative on the Tate Board, my primary responsibility – with my opposite on the Tate Board – is to ensure continuing good relations between the two institutions. I hope that my experience making films, writing and lecturing about art coupled with experience in business and the media, can add something to the institution. On a personal level, being a Tate trustee is a great honour and I look forward to learning more about contemporary art and about one of the World’s great cultural success stories.
Appointed by: Prime Minister
Appointment: 30 September 2013
Term expires: 29 September 2017
- Tate Britain Advisory Council
- Collection Committee
Declaration of Members Interests between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014
Directorships of companies2
Clandestine Films Ltd, appointed 2005
The Jazz Baroness Ltd, appointed 2008
Rothschild Waddesdon Ltd, appointed 2001
This is a trading subsidiary of the Rothschild Foundation which manages Waddesdon on behalf of the National Trust. I receive no Directors fees of remuneration.
The Rothschild Foundation (a company Limited by guarantee 00735078 and a registered UK charity 1138145), appointed 2011
Five Arrows Limited (company number 62983), appointed 2011
Yad Hanadiv (A. Rothschild foundation) 45609, appointed 2011
J. Rothschild Capital Management Limited (Company number 02201053) , appointed 2011
RIT Capital Partners, appointed 20132013
Windmill Hill Asset Management, appointed 2013
Membership of non-profit making organisations3
The Artist on Film Trust (Chairman), appointed 2002
The Rothschild Foundation, appointed 19984
The Rothschild Foundation (a company limited by guarantee 00735078 and a registered UK charity 1138145), appointed 2011
National Gallery, appointed 2009
Tate Gallery, appointed 2013
Waddesdon Academic Committee Advisory Board , appointed 2011
Waddesdon Management Committee Advisory Board, appointed 2013
Connections between Trustees and others connected with Tate6
Any other interests7
Signed by Hannah Rothschild on 28 April 2014
- 1. Employment, remunerated trade, profession, public office or consultancy
- 2. Directorships of companies, both public and private, both remunerated and unremunerated
- 3. Membership of non-profit making organisations, clubs or associations and professional bodies which have significant dealings with Tate or whose activities could relate to Tate’s work
- 4. This was an unincorporated charity that distributed all its assets on 31 December 2010 and was then removed from the Charity Commissions website
- 5. Names of companies and organisations in which the member or his/her family or associates has a controlling interest or shares or securities and which could be involved in the supply of goods or have business dealings with Tate
- 6. This includes commercial interests with other Trustees, Tates lawyers (Withers; Linklaters; Farrers; Finers Stephens Innocent) and Tates auditors (National Audit Office, RSM Tenon and Grant Thornton).
- 7. Trustees are advised to declare anything which a member of the public, knowing the facts, might reasonably think is significant and relevant.