I am chairman and co-founder of Urban Splash, an award winning property regeneration company based in Manchester, and we develop projects across the country, including Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Bristol, Plymouth and Morecombe.
I am Chairman of the Manchester International Festival, a Trustee of the Manchester United FC Foundation, and Chancellor of the University of Manchester. Previously, I have been a Board Member of the Liverpool Culture Company, delivering the European Capital of Culture, I chaired Arts Council England North West until 2008, also sitting on the Arts Council England Board, and served on the Urban Sounding Board and Property Advisory Group of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
I was awarded an MBE in 1999 for services to architecture and urban regeneration.
Why I wanted to become a Tate Trustee
Tate is full of beautiful things and I like beautiful objects.
It has always been a joy for me to visit Tate and see wonderful work by visual artists, which has the ability to inspire and transform lives.
I am also a huge admirer of how Tate has used art to help regeneration transforming the South Bank in London, Albert Dock in Liverpool and St Ives in Cornwall, using great art and great architects.
I hope that I can play a small part in Tate’s future.
Appointed by: Prime Minister
Appointment: 23 February 2009
Reappointed: 23 February 2013
Terms Expires: 22 February 2017
- Tate Liverpool Advisory Council (Chair)
Declaration of Members Interests between 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013
Chairman and major shareholder of Urban Splash Group Ltd, and therefore Director and Controlling Party of all subsidiary companies.
Directorships of companies2
Urban Splash Group Companies
The Urban Splash Charitable Trust Ltd
Urban Splash (South West) Birnbeck Limited
Urban Splash (South West) Limited
Urban Splash Build Limited
Urban Splash Director Limited
Urban Splash Fort Dunlop Limited
Urban Splash Group Limited
Urban Splash Holdings Limited
Urban Splash Homes Limited
Urban Splash Hotels Limited
Urban Splash Limited
Urban Splash Midlands Limited
Urban Splash South West (Bridewell) Limited
Urban Splash South West (Lakeshore) Limited
Urban Splash South West (Mills Bakery) Limited
Urban Splash South West (Morelands) Limited
Urban Splash South West (Watchet) Limited
Urban Splash Spv1 Limited
Urban Splash Spv2 Limited
Urban Splash Spv3 Limited
Urban Splash Walsall Limited
Urban Splash Work Limited
Urban Splash Yorkshire Limited
Woodfield House Limited
Manchester International Festival
Manchester United Foundation
North West Arts Board
Smithfield Lofts Limited
Splash Leisure Limited
Tbi 2000 Limited
Tbig Properties Limited
The Liverpool Culture Company Limited
Membership of non-profit making organisations3
Chancellor of Manchester University (since 2009)
Trustee of Bloxham Charitable Trust
Chair of Manchester International Festival
Trustee of Manchester United Football Club
Urban Splash – no known dealings.
Connections between Trustees and others connected with Tate5
Any other interests6
Signed and Dated by Tom Bloxham on 15 April 2013.
- 1. Employment, remunerated trade, profession, public office or consultancy
- 2. Directorships of companies, both public and private, both remunerated and unremunerated
- 3. Membership of non-profit making organisations, clubs or associations and professional bodies which have significant dealings with Tate or whose activities could relate to Tate’s work
- 4. Names of companies and organisations in which the member or his/her family or associates has a controlling interest or shares or securities and which could be involved in the supply of goods or have business dealings with Tate
- 5. This includes commercial interests with other Trustees, Tates lawyers (Withers; Linklaters; Farrers; Finers Stephens Innocent) and Tates auditors (National Audit Office, RSM Tenon and Grant Thornton).
- 6. Trustees are advised to declare anything which a member of the public, knowing the facts, might reasonably think is significant and relevant.