Born in Kiel, Germany 1967
Lives and works in London
Selected solo exhibitions
2011: greengrassi, London
Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf*
2009: Galerie Giti Nourbakhsch, Berlin
2008: David Zwirner, New York, NY
Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, CA*
New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, NY*
2006: Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Cologne
Turner Prize 2006, Tate Britain, London*
Tomma Abts. Malerei, Kunsthalle, Kiel
2005: greengrassi, London*
Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin
Kunsthalle Basel, Basel*
2004: Journal#7, Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven (with Vincent Fecteau)
Selected group exhibitions
2012: Contemporary painting, 1960 to the Present, SF MoMA, San Francisco
Rendezvous der Maler II, Kunst-Akademie-Galerie, Düsseldorf*
2009: 4th Tirana Biennale, Tirana Institute of Contemporary Art, Tirana
2008: Yes, No & Other Options, Art Sheffield, 08, S1 Artspace, Sheffield (curated by Jan Verwoert)
2006: Hyper Design, The Shanghai Biennale 2006, Shanghai*
Of Mice and Men, 4th Berlin Biennale, Berlin*
2005: British Art Show 6, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead
2004: 54th Carnegie International, Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh*
Formalismus: Moderne Kunst Heute, Kunstverein, Hamburg*
* Indicates catalogue
2006: Turner Prize, London
2004: The Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award, London
Appointed by: Prime Minister
Appointment: 31 January 2011
Term expires: 30 January 2015
- Collection Committee
Declaration of Members Interests between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014
Professor for Painting at Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, Germany.
Directorships of companies2
Membership of non-profit making organisations3
Connections between Trustees and others connected with Tate5
Both the Artist and Trustee Wolfgang Tilmans and me are represented by Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Cologne and David Zwirner Gallery, New York. I am friendly with some Tate staff.
Any other interests6
I was included in the Tate Britain Five Contemporary Artists exhibition from 12 November 2013 until 9 February 2014 with seven paintings, one of them from the Tate collection. Publication for sale accompanying the exhibition.
Tate has agreed to lend one of my drawings from the Tate collection to a solo exhibition I will have in Aspen Art Museum in August 2014.
Signed by Tomma Abts on 19 March 2014
- 1. Employment, remunerated trade, profession, public office or consultancy
- 2. Directorships of companies, both public and private, both remunerated and unremunerated
- 3. Membership of non-profit making organisations, clubs or associations and professional bodies which have significant dealings with Tate or whose activities could relate to Tate’s work
- 4. Names of companies and organisations in which the member or his/her family or associates has a controlling interest or shares or securities and which could be involved in the supply of goods or have business dealings with Tate
- 5. This includes commercial interests with other Trustees, Tates lawyers (Withers; Linklaters; Farrers; Finers Stephens Innocent) and Tates auditors (National Audit Office, RSM Tenon and Grant Thornton).
- 6. Trustees are advised to declare anything which a member of the public, knowing the facts, might reasonably think is significant and relevant.