Media and Audiences operates across multiple media platforms to maximise the reach of all Tate’s programmes and resources.
The division is responsible for developing content for digital and online publication and for Tate Etc. magazine. It develops and guides Tate’s communication strategy through brand guardianship, media relations, marketing, membership, advocacy, market research and audience development.
It includes the following teams:
- Tate Digital, who develop Tate’s website and other digital outputs
- Press and Communications, who promote Tate to the international, national and regional media
- Marketing and Audiences, who promote exhibitions and events, attracting new visitors, encouraging repeat visits, and maximising visitor numbers to all four Tate galleries
- Membership and Supporter Engagement, whose mission is to develop long-standing advocacy-based relationships with all Tate customers. Tate Members manage one of Europe’s most successful arts membership schemes. They aim to increase membership and deepen engagement with current Members
- Tate Media Productions, who produce video content
- Tate Etc. who produce the Tate Etc. magazine
- Tate Design Studio, who produce all printed communications, including advertising campaigns, for all four Tate galleries.
Director, Media and Audiences
Lead and develop the Tate brand across online, broadcast and social media, strengthening Tate’s relationships with audiences and building social networks for the organisation.
- Director, Media and Audiences since May 2010
- 2000–2010: Marketing Director, The Guardian, The Observer and their websites, member of the board at Guardian News & Media
- Prior to 2000: Marketing Director, LWT, Granada Television; seconded to British Digital Broadcasting – which later to become ONdigital, the Digital Terrestrial consortium between Carlton and Granada – as a founding employee
Marc Sands has over eight years’ experience in the advertising industry, during which he worked at DMB&B and HHCL & Partners in London and New York.