Caroline Corbeau-Parsons, Assistant Curator, British Art 1850–1915
Work at Tate
Caroline Corbeau-Parsons’s first project at Tate Britain was to coordinate the international tour of Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde (2012–14) to Moscow, Tokyo and Turin. She curated the BP Spotlight exhibition Forgotten Faces (2014) and was instrumental in the rehang of the 1840–90 gallery at Tate Britain in 2014. She also helped Greg Sullivan to deliver Sculpture Victorious (2015) and is currently working on Artist and Empire (2015) with the nineteenth century team. Caroline Corbeau-Parsons is co-convenor of the Tate Research Centre: Victorian and Edwardian Art.
Joined Tate 2012.
Caroline Corbeau-Parsons has a particular interest in international symbolism. She recently published a book on the Prometheus myth that looks closely at this period and in 2013 gave a paper on George Frederic Watts at Le Festival de l’histoire de l’art in Fontainebleau. Other key areas of her research are portraiture, with a focus on Philip de László and John Singer Sargent, and Victorian and Edwardian sculpture. Caroline Corbeau-Parsons is co-supervisor of a Collaborative Doctoral Partnership on ‘Canonising British Sculpture: Sir Francis Chantrey and the Chantrey Bequest’. A new research interest for her centres on French artists who practiced in London in the late nineteenth century.
- Contributions to Martina Droth, Jason Edwards and Michael Hatt (eds.), Sculpture Victorious: Art in an Age of Invention, 1837–1901, New Haven 2014, 432pp.
- Prometheus in the Nineteenth Century: From Myth to Symbol, London 2013, 196pp.
- Contributions to Penelope Curtis (ed.), Tate Britain Companion: A Guide to British Art, London 2012, 224pp.
- Philip de László: Portraits, exhibition catalogue, National Portrait Gallery, London 2010, 32pp.
- With Duff Hart-Davis, Philip de László: His Life and Art, New Haven and London 2010, 412pp.
- ‘The Macpherson Collection’, in Geoff Quilley (ed.), Art for the Nation: The Oil Paintings Collections of the National Maritime Museum, London 2006, pp.59–84.
Selected exhibitions and displays
- Assisted, Sculpture Victorious, Tate Britain, 2015
- Assisted, Salt and Silver: Early Photography 1840–1860, Tate Britain, 2015
- BP Spotlight: Forgotten Faces, Tate Britain, 2014
- Assisted, Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde, Tate Britain, 2012
Last updated March 2015.