Simon Baker, Senior Curator, International Art (Photography)
Work at Tate
Simon Baker is Tate’s first Curator of Photography. Since his appointment in 2009 he has worked on acquisitions, displays of the permanent collection and exhibitions at both Tate Modern and Tate Britain, and in advisory roles for Tate St Ives and Tate Liverpool. Major exhibitions on which he has worked include William Klein + Daido Moriyama (2012) and Conflict, Time, Photography (2014). He has also been responsible, with colleagues, for establishing and running the Photography Acquisitions Committee and thereby overseeing the strategic expansion of Tate’s collection of photographs.
Joined Tate 2009.
Simon Baker’s research interests encompass many aspects of the history of photography from the nineteenth century to the present day, with focuses on early to mid-twentieth century modernist photography (within and beyond Europe), the post-war avant-garde in Japan and many aspects of contemporary photographic practice. Before working at Tate Simon Baker was an art historian whose research concerned the history and legacies of the surrealist movement, particularly the magazines and publications produced by the surrealists and their contemporaries. He has also been working for several years on the first monograph of the American painter George Condo (forthcoming in 2015 from Thames and Hudson).
- With Shoair Mavlian (eds.), Conflict, Time, Photography, exhibition catalogue, Tate Modern, London 2014, 224pp.
- Daido Moriyama, London 2012, 224pp.
- With Ines de Bordas (eds.), Chris Shaw: Before and After Night Porter, Heidelberg 2012, 180pp.
- With Dawn Ades, Close-up: Proximity and Defamiliarisation in Art, Film and Photography, exhibition catalogue, Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh 2008, 112pp.
- With Dawn Ades, Undercover Surrealism: Georges Bataille and Documents, exhibition catalogue, Hayward Gallery, London 2006, 272pp.
Selected exhibitions and displays
- Conflict, Time, Photography, Tate Modern, 2014
- Harry Callahan: Photographs, Tate Modern, 2013
- William Klein + Daido Moriyama, Tate Modern, 2012
- Another London, TateBritain, 2012
- Taryn Simon: A Living Man Declared Dead and Other Chapters, Tate Modern, 2011
- Exposed, Tate Modern, 2010
Last updated January 2015.