Executive Director, Tate Liverpool
Develop and realise Tate Liverpool’s vision, focusing on strategic planning, communications, fundraising, external advocacy and operational delivery.
- Executive Director, Tate Liverpool since 2006
- 1999–2006: Director of Development, Tate
- 1996–8: Head of Corporate Sponsorship, Tate
- 1991–5: Corporate Sponsorship Manager, Tate
- Previously: Fundraising Manager, Design Council, London.
- Current activities include:
European Trustee at the Council for Advancement and Support for Education (CASE).
Member of the Regional Council for Arts Council North West
Member of the Workforce Development Group for UK Visual Arts for Creative Cultural Skills
Board member of Renaissance North West
On the Tourism panel for the North-West Development Agency
Artistic Director, Tate Liverpool
Conceive and execute the public programme at Tate Liverpool, representing the gallery externally and internally.
- Artistic Director, Tate Liverpool since April 2012
- 2010–12: Director of Artissima, Turin
- 2007–9: Curator at Barbican Art Gallery, London
- 2006–10: Visiting Lecturer in Exhibition History and Critical Theory at Royal College of Art, London
Francesco has curated numerous group shows including Subcontingent: The Indian Subcontinent in Contemporary Art, The Martian Museum of Terrestrial Art, Radical Nature, solo exhibitions with artists such as Clemens Von Wedemeyer, Hans Schabus and Tobias Putrih as well as large scale events such as the Alighiero and Boetti Day and Simple Rational Approximations with Lara Favaretto. He has curated the Slovenian Pavillion at the Venice Biennial in 2007 and the New Zealand Pavilion in 2009. He is also a writer, having contributed reviews and features extensively to many publications includingDomus, Flash Art International and Art Review. He has also written artists’ monographs and contributed to a wide range of group exhibition catalogues. He has a Degree in Humanities from the University of Turin and an MA in Curating Contemporary Art from the Royal College of Art, London. In 2013 he was a member of the International Jury for the 55th Exhibition at la Biennale di Venezia.