- Graphite, pastel and gouache on paper
- Support: 1224 x 516 mm
- Purchased 1919
These cartoons were first used for a stained-glass window in Jesus College Chapel, Cambridge. The window also includes a third figure, the Delphic Sibyl, to the left of St Luke. The panels of glass were installed in 1873, joining other designs by the artist, which were already in place. In the almost sculptural form of St Luke it is possible to see the marked influence of Italian Renaissance art and especially of Michelangelo: while in Rome
in 1871 Burne-Jones spent a day lying on his back in the Sistine Chapel studying Michelangelo's ceiling through opera glasses.
Gallery label, August 2004