- Michael Cardew 1901–1983
- Object: 170 x 140 x 140 mm
- Accepted by HM Government in lieu of inheritance tax and allocated to Tate 2005
Bernard Leach’s pottery in St Ives employed numerous assistants and apprentices, in part deliberately to spread Leach’s aesthetic and moral values. Cardew was the first assistant there, arriving in 1923. He left in 1926 and founded his own pottery, first at Winchcombe in Gloucestershire and then, in 1939, at Wenford Bridge in Cornwall. From 1942 to 1965 he taught and worked in Nigeria, absorbing influences from local traditions into his own work.
Gallery label, September 2016