T03713 HEAD 1952
Forged iron on integral stone base 7 3/8 × 3 1/2 × 4 3/4 (180 × 90 × 110)
Transferred from the Victoria and Albert Museum 1983
Prov: Purchased from the artist by the Department of Circulation, Victoria and Albert Museum 1953 (Circ. 3–1953)
Exh: Annual review of works by artists of gallery Gimpel Fils, Gimpel Fils, summer 1952 (repr. p.13); travelling exhibitions of the Department of Circulation, Victoria and Albert Museum
Geoffrey Clarke made a large number of small forged iron sculptures between 1951 and 1955 in a studio near the Royal College of Art, where he had been a pupil. Many of these were ‘heads’ or ‘masks’, although they were not usually set into a stone base. In some the head was horizontal, as if a stand with objects on it. This design was also printed, as in the Tate Gallery's aquatint ‘Woman and Child’, 1953 (P01010).
The Tate Gallery 1982-84: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1986