Catalogue entry

This catalogue entry discusses a group of works; details of the individual work are given at the end of the introductory text.

John Constable 1776-1837 and David Lucas 1802-1881

T04064 - T04103 'English Landscape Scenery' pub.1855

Bound volume containing text and forty mezzotints, various sizes, on wove paper, page size 426 x 290 (16 3/4 x 11 7/16)
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1985
Prov: ...; given by Mrs Peter Hammond to her husband Peter Hammond 27 July 1911 (inscription on endpaper); ...; Osbert H. Barnard, sold Sotheby's 7 March 1985 (237, together with T03983-04063) £5017 bt Christopher Mendez for Tate Gallery
Lit: as for T03983-04063 above

See the introductory text to T03983-04063 for general comments on this edition, published by H.G. Bohn in 1855 under the title English Landscape Scenery: A Series of Forty Mezzotinto Engravings on Steel, by David Lucas. From Pictures Painted by John Constable, R.A.

The titles used here are those that appear on the prints themselves, except for subjects first published in the 1830-2 English Landscape series, for which the original titles, as given on T03983-04063, have been retained. The ruled borders or framing lines (as Shirley calls them) used on the later Lucas subjects included in this edition have been ignored for the purpose of measuring the images.

T04067 Flatford Mill


Mezzotint 141 x 180 (5 9/16 x 7 1/16); plate-mark 175 x 207 (6 7/8 x 8 1/8)
Engraved inscriptions: '4' above image t.r., 'John Constable, R.A.' below image b.l., 'David Lucas.' below image b.r., 'Flatford Mill.' below image at centre; title in fine italic
Lit: Shirley 1930, no.46, state II; Hill 1985, no.27


The original is the painting exhibited in 1817 as 'Scene on a Navigable River' and now in the Tate Gallery (Reynolds 1984, no.57.1, pl.5 in col.; Hill 1985, pl.27 in col. [N01273]). The mezzotint was first published by Lucas in his New Series in 1846, with the date 1844 in the publication line.


Published in:
The Tate Gallery 1984-86: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions Including Supplement to Catalogue of Acquisitions 1982-84, Tate Gallery, London 1988, pp.50-1