- Oil paint, charcoal and screenprint on 6 fabrics
- Image, each: 2010 x 1400 mm
- Presented by the Latin American Acquisitions Committee, with funds provided by the American Fund for the Tate Gallery 2004
This large collage includes a combination of found texts and images relate to travel, particularly the idea of returning or attempting to return to a place of origin. It includes references to Jemmy Button, an aborigine from Tierra del Fuego who was bought for a few buttons by Captain Robert FitzRoy and brought to London in 1829 on his ship the Beagle. Another story relates to British sailor John Torrington, a member of the doomed Franklin expedition to discover the Northwest Passage, whose frozen body was rediscovered in the Arctic in 1984, 138 years after his death.
Gallery label, November 2007
- symbols & personifications(7,114)
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,689)