Eric Gill The East Wind 1929

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Eric Gill 1882–1940
The East Wind
Date 1929
Medium Bath stone
Dimensions Object: 254 x 705 x 102 mm
Acquisition Purchased 1929
On display at Tate Britain
Room: 1910

Display caption

In 1928 Gill led a team of sculptors commissioned to carve stone reliefs symbolising the four winds for the exterior of the new London Underground Headquarters at St James's Park station. Gill carved three of the total of eight figures (two representing each of the main points of the compass). They were carved in situ between November 1928 and February 1929 and are still in place today. These are two of the three quarter-size copies that he made later. The style of the reliefs demonstrates Gill's admiration for English and French Medieval sculpture.

August 2004

About this artwork