Display caption

In 1855 Morris and Burne-Jones toured northern France. Morris was enthralled by the architecture and stained-glass windows of the medieval cathedrals and returned to England determined to be an architect. He spent most of 1856 in the London office of George Edmund Street, a Gothic Revival architect, but quickly abandoned this career.

Stained-glass, perhaps the medium most evocative of the medieval period, was one of the mainstays of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. The designs shown here are the same as those Morris provided for St Michael and All Angels church, Brighton. Burne-Jones and Madox Brown also contributed to this decorative scheme.

August 2004