Catalogue entry

N03275 A VENETIAN LYRIC (?) 1900–10

Inscr. ‘Studd’ b.r.
Oil on wood, 9 1/2×15 3/4 (24×40).

Coll: Presented by Mrs Frank Gibson 1918.
Exh: Alpine Club Gallery, June 1911 (? 37), repr. as ‘The Temple of Vulcan’.

A view of the church of the Redentore on the Giudecca, Venice, as seen from a boat just before reaching the landing-stage of the Zitelle en route for S. Giorgio Maggiore. Eight paintings entitled ‘A Venetian Lyric’, lettered A-H, were included in the Alpine Club exhibition (Nos. 4, 9, 50–5), although N03275 was reproduced over the title ‘The Temple of Vulcan’ and this title appears in French and English on two labels stuck to the back of the panel. On one of these labels ‘The Temple of Vulcan’ has been deleted and ‘A Venetian Lyric’ substituted in its place. A similar alteration occurs in the Tate Gallery Minutes, March 1918. It is just possible that the artist was alluding to the smoking chimneys in the neighbourhood of the Redentore, but this seems somewhat fanciful, and probably to avoid ambiguity the title was afterwards changed.

Published in:
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II