T00424 HEAD 1960
Inscr. ‘T [within a circle] 60’ on underside, near support.
Bronze, 12 1/4×21 1/4×10 1/2 (32×54×27), on stone cylindrical block, 10×14 1/2 diameter (25·5×37), and rosewood stand, 23 1/2×12 diameter (59·5×30).
Purchased from the Molton Gallery (Grant-in-Aid) 1961.
Exh: Molton Gallery, April–May 1961 (13).
The sculptor wrote (31 May 1961) of ‘Head’ that ‘it was made during early 1960 and is one of the most recent of a number of heads done since 1955. They have in common a concern to make a head an autonomous object rather than a fragment. The earlier sculptures had a heavily incised surface and a rather battered look as if everything had happened to them; these later heads are more like things in the process of ripening…