Joseph Mallord William TurnerCivita Castellana with the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine 1819

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Civita Castellana with the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine
From Ancona to Rome Sketchbook
Turner Bequest CLXXVII
Date 1819
MediumGraphite on paper
Dimensionssupport: 110 x 186 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D14808
Turner Bequest CLXXVII 79 a
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 79 Verso:
Civita Castellana with the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine 1819
D14808
Turner Bequest CLXXVII 79 a
Pencil on white wove paper, 110 x 186 mm
Inscribed by the artist in pencil ‘Mad | Carminal’ within sky, top left and ‘Convent Cara’ top right of bell-tower and ‘[?V] [M...] Mash’ bottom centre and ‘St Phillipo’ top right and ‘[?contorno]’ near top right-hand edge
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner’s route to Rome took him to Civita Castellana, an ancient town in the Viterbo province of Lazio, approximately seventeen miles south of Narni and thirty miles north of the Eternal City. He entered the town via the Ponte Clementino to the north, see folios 75 verso–76 (D14800–1) and followed the eastern road (present-day Via Minolfo Masci) round towards the viewpoint for this sketch, the present-day Via Vincenzo Ferretti with the view looking east towards the medieval bell-tower of the Church of Santa Maria dell Carmine o dell Arco. On the far right-hand side is a fountain decorated with figures which no longer survives today. A smaller sketch of the same view can be found in the bottom left-hand corner of folio 76 verso (D14802).

Nicola Moorby
November 2008

About this artwork