The subject is continued on folio 27 recto opposite (D02964). Dunglass, a fourteenth-century fortification which by Turner’s time had become a ruin, stands on the Clyde estuary near the village of Bowling, about three miles from Dumbarton. A residence was built close behind it in the nineteenth century, and the site became a shipbuilding yard. Much diminished in scale, it is now dominated by a late nineteenth-century obelisk commemorating Henry Bell (1767–1830), a pioneer of steam navigation. See also under folio 25 verso (D02561).