View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The Gothic Revival Eridge Castle, the seat of the Earl of Abergavenny, stood just east of Eridge Green, south of Tunbridge Wells, from 1787 until in the 1930s; a new house stands on the site, owned by the earl’s descendents.1 There is a similar view in the Vale of Heathfield sketchbook (Tate D10230, D10231; Turner Bequest CXXXVII 14a–15), presumably made on the same occasion, which was the direct source of a watercolour of about 1816 (Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester).2 There is a more distant prospect from the same direction on D08991 (CXXVII 19a) and another sketch of the neighbourhood on D08989 (CXXVII 18a).
As David Blayney Brown notes under D10230 and in the Vale of Heathfield Introduction, Lord Abergavenny was a friend of Turner’s Sussex patron John Fuller, for whom he began work in 1810, the date to which the Sussex views in the present sketchbook are tentatively assigned.
‘Eridge Park – A Short History’, Eridge Park, accessed 13 January 2012, http://www
.eridgepark; see also Craig Hartley, Turner Watercolours in the Whitworth Art Gallery, exhibition catalogue, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester 1984, p.47 under no.36. .co .uk /history .asp
Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, p.349 no.439, reproduced.
This page is a face of one of the loose bifolio sheets which form the majority of the so-called Sandycombe and Yorkshire sketchbook, along with a few single leaves. The sheets were not bound, but folded inside each other in a sequence which is not entirely recoverable (see the sketchbook’s Introduction for a suggested order). When unfolded, this page is continuous with D08975 (CXXVII 9); the measurements given above are for the present work alone.
You might like
After Joseph Mallord William Turner Bodiham Castle, Sussex
After Joseph Mallord William Turner Arundel Castle and Town, Sussex
After Joseph Mallord William Turner Arundel Castle and Town, Sussex, engraved by T. Jeavons