Executed in cursory line, this sketch pictures the French town of Givet close to the borders of Belgium. From left, Turner depicts the Tour Grégoire, the stone bridge traversing the Meuse and finally, the fortress of Charlemont atop the mountain range.
The Emperor Charles V established Fort Charlemont in 1555 as a defence against the French, until Givet was formerly ceded to Louis XVI in 1699.1
Like Namur, the fortress had been strengthened by the French King’s chief military engineer Vauban.2
This and other sketches of Givet in this book (Tate D28170–D28172
; Turner Bequest CCLXXXVIII 2a–3a, 4a–10, 11) formed the basis of a gouache and watercolour drawing on blue paper (private collection).3