View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The view is west along the south side of Le Tréport’s harbour, with the Church of St Jacques, as Ian Warrell recognised,1 high above. From the Quai Sadi Carnot, the east end and spire remain visible above later buildings. Folio 75 recto (D35618) shows the church from another angle, and folios 55 verso–56 recto and 69 verso (D35584–D35585, D35610) may show other aspects of the port.
The Eu and Tréport sketchbook, used on the same occasion, includes watercolour views of the church, the town and its surroundings (Tate D35440, D35447, D35452, D35456, D35458; Turner Bequest CCCLIX 5, 12, 17, 21, 23). Britain’s Queen Victoria and Prince Albert landed there on 8 September 1845, on a brief visit to Louis-Philippe, King of the French, at Eu, about two miles inland; see the sketchbook’s Introduction and John Chu’s Introduction to the overall tour.
See Warrell 1995, p.35.
There is some brown staining at the gutter, possibly indicating water damage in the 1928 Tate flood.