Joseph Mallord William Turner

Nuremberg: View Southwards from the Königstrasse to the Tugendbrunnen, St Lorenz and Nassauer Haus


View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 118 x 190 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCCIV 55 a

Catalogue entry

Here Turner depicts a view in central Nuremberg from a vantage point on the Königstrasse. The artist looks onto Lorenzer Platz, named after the gothic Church of St Lorenz seen at left. The Tugendbrunnen, a fountain decorated with statues of the seven virtues, lies next to the Church. Opposite St Lorenz is a medieval tower featuring an oriel window and a set of octagonal corner turrets. This is Nassauer Haus, once of the last remaining residential towers in Nuremberg.
For more views of the city see Tate D30707–D30711, D30713, D30715–D30718, D30720–D30726, D30729–D30730; Turner Bequest CCCIV 40a–42a, 44, 45–46a, 47a–50a, 52–52a.

Alice Rylance-Watson
December 2015

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like