View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
While he was at Harewood, Turner was commissioned to produce two paintings for the Saloon; they were to depict Plompton Rocks, a geological curiosity at Plompton Hall, a Lascelles property, near Knaresborough; see Tate D02392 and D17202 (Turner Bequest LI Y, CXCVII L). On his way from Harewood to view the Rocks, he passed the small village of Spofforth between Harrogate and Wetherby, and made this drawing, which however he never, as far as is known, developed into a finished work. The subject is drawn with the page turned horizontally. It shows the north-west corner of the building, a fortified house built by Henry Percy who obtained licence to crenellate in 1308.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.