In the mid-1820s Turner renewed his association with his early patron the third Earl of Egremont, owner of Petworth House in West Sussex. Between 1827 and 1837 Turner was to become a frequent visitor, even establishing his own studio at the house. Apart from the relaxed 'liberty hall' hospitality, the main attraction for Turner and the other artists who visited Petworth was the fine collection of paintings and sculpture, many by contemporary artists. Petworth Park, designed by Capability Brown, provided the setting for many studies of sunset light, as well as for a group of landscapes painted in oil (see Gallery 102).
Gallery label, August 2004