During his visit to Harewood House in 1797 Turner spent time exploring the surrounding estate, including Plompton Rocks, which lie between Harrogate and Knaresborough. These sketches relate to two oil paintings Turner completed in the late spring of 1798, and which are on display downstairs in Room T1. Of these two studies, only the partly-coloured view from the north was eventually worked up in oils. It is painted on a sheet of paper with a French watermark, quite unlike most of the other Harewood sketches, which are on Whatman paper. It may be that Turner had exhausted the supplies he brought with him and was given the more exotic supplies by Lascelles.