Joseph Mallord William Turner

Prudhoe Castle and Ovingham from the Tyne Valley

1817

Not on display
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 116 x 185 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D12419
Turner Bequest CLVII 79

Catalogue entry

This is part of a two-page sketch, continuing to the right on folio 78 verso opposite (D12418) towards the church at Ovingham. Turner’s focus in the present half is Prudhoe Castle, with Orchard Hill to its left, seen to the south-west across the River Tyne from the north bank near the Hermitage on the road between Wylam and Ovingham. The broad southern bank below the castle is now heavily industrialised and flanked by the Newcastle to Carlisle railway.
There are other views of the castle from across the Tyne on folios 77 verso–78 recto, 79 verso–80 recto and 80 verso–81 recto (D12416, D12417, D12420–D12423), and from close up on folios 89 verso, 90 verso, 91 verso, 92 verso and 93 verso (D12440, D12442, D12444, D12446, D12448). For the history of the building and Turner’s later watercolour, see the entry for D12417.

Matthew Imms
February 2010

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like