View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The castle is seen from the south, with the flagpole on Bulmer’s Tower at the right. The village of Staindrop is in the middle distance, about half a mile south of the castle, with the tower of St Mary’s Church on the right. The rising ground beyond the castle was the vantage point for panoramic studies looking back in this direction on folios 19 recto, 18 recto and 17 verso (D12278, D12296, D12297; CLVI 11a, 21a–22), and folios 21 recto and 20 verso (D12300, D12301; CLVI 23a–24), which were used for Turner’s 1818 painting Raby Castle, the Seat of the Earl of Darlington (Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore).1
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, pp.101–2 no.136, pl.142 (colour).