View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
With the sketchbook turned to the left Turner drew a view of Rhymer’s Glen with the bridge and two figures standing to the left of it. These are Mrs Lockhart and Miss Scott who accompanied Turner to the glen on 7 August 1831. There is a similar view of the bridge on folio 5 verso (D25936; CCLXVII 5a). See folio 4 verso of the present book (D25934; CCLXVII 4a) for more information. Turner returned to the area in 1834 and made a sketch of the bridge in the Edinburgh sketchbook: Tate D26195 (Turner Bequest CCLXVIII 51a).