Joseph Mallord William Turner

Ripon: The Cathedral Seen from the North

1797

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 216 x 267 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D01098
Turner Bequest XXXVI D

Catalogue entry

This and Tate D01099 (Turner Bequest XXXVI E) are two drawings of Ripon in the series that Turner made on small loose sheets of paper to amplify his work in the two sketchbooks recording his northern tour of 1797, the North of England and Tweed and Lakes (Tate; Turner Bequest XXXIV, XXXV). Here the town is seen beyond the bridge over the River Ure that carries the road north-east to Thirsk, from the road on which Turner travelled to Richmond; see Tate D00932 (Turner Bequest XXXIV 26) and D01012 (Turner Bequest XXXV 9). As in D01099, the Cathedral dominates the view; Turner has omitted the southerly of the two west towers. The Minster became the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Ripon in 1836.
Technical notes:
The sheet has been folded vertically down the centre. It is one of a sequence of sixteen Yorkshire and other subjects included in the present subsection which were executed on uniform sheets of paper, as discussed and listed in the Introduction. There are prominent brown stains at the top left and centre right.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
January 2013

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like