View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
Another view of the market place at Ross on Wye is folio 54 recto (D00609; Turner Bequest XXVI 55). It is not known which of the two subjects was commissioned as a watercolour by ‘Mr Lambirt’ (see the list of ‘Order’d Drawings’, D40557). The bust in a cartouche on the wall of the Market Hall is that of Charles II, during whose reign the Hall was built (1660–74).1
See Nikolaus Pevsner, Herefordshire, The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth 1963, p.279.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.