[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1834: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1834 [T04698-T04707; complete]
Ten line-engravings by various engravers, comprising ten subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1834; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981
For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were: James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Robert Wallis (1794–1878), Robert Brandard (1805–62), Thomas Jeavons (c. 1800–67), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Miller (1796–1882) and John Cousen (1804–80).
T04705 Rouen from St Catherine's Hill engr. W. Miller
Line-engraving 100 × 136 (3 15/16 × 5 3/8) on India paper laid on wove paper 299 × 436 (11 3/4 × 17 3/16); plate-mark 150 × 227 (5 7/8 × 8 15/16)
Engraved inscriptions: ‘J.M.W. Turner, R.A.’ below image b.l., ‘William Miller.’ below image b.r.
Lit: Rawlinson II 1913, no.468, engraver's proof
Engraver's proof of plate published: p.116, 1834.
Original watercolour: private collection (Wilton 1979, no.966).
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996