View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The subject is continued on folio 155 recto opposite (D03212; Turner Bequest LVI 153). This is a more distant view of the Stirling Rock than that on folios 152 verso–153 recto (D03207–D03208; Turner Bequest LVI 150a–151). Taken from King’s Park, it includes the Castle on its towering cliff to the left and, to the right, the town with the tower of the Church of the Holy Rude, the largely fifteenth-century rebuilding of an early twelfth-century foundation; ‘Rude’ is an alternative spelling of ‘Rood’, or Crucifix. The tower was erected in a complete rebuilding of the church after a fire in 1405.
For other views of Stirling and general comments, see under folio 150 verso (D03203; Turner Bequest LVI 148a).