Drawn with the page turned horizontally, the aqueduct is that at Chirk, whose arches are round-headed, as are those shown here. Thomas Telford’s other aqueduct in the region, the Pontcysyllte, has segmental-headed arches; Turner made a drawing of it on folio 40 recto (D01393; Turner Bequest XXXIX 38). The Chirk aqueduct was built in 1796–1801 by Telford and William Jessop to carry the Shropshire Union Canal, a branch of the Ellesmere Canal, and Turner shows it in course of construction. It consists of ten arches each spanning 12 metres (40 feet).
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.