This sketch has been identified as depicting the ruins of the Frater range of Dunfermline Abbey.1 The building is seen from the north-west with the west window at the centre, the buttressed north wall at the left and the arched entrance called the Pends to the right. The sketch at the bottom left of the page shows the tracery of the west window, and to the right is a sketch of the coat of arms of James V and Mary of Guise, a carving of which was set into the wall beneath the west window. There is a view from the opposite side of the Frater range on the reverse of this page (folio 2 verso; D26439).
Turner visited Dunfermline on his way from Edinburgh to Stirling in 1831 and later used his sketches as the basis for an illustration to a new edition of Sir Walter Scott’s Tales of a Grandfather. See folio 3 verso (D26441) for details and references to further sketches.
Wallace-Hadrill and Carolan 1990, p.14.