View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
This page contains two sketches associated with Turner’s exploration of Paestum, an ancient city on a plain between the Lattari mountains and the Tyrrenhian sea, approximately twenty miles south-east of Salerno. The site was most famous for its three fifth-century BC Greek temples which had been rediscovered at the end of the eighteenth century. The main drawing depicts the eastern end of the Temple of Athena (formerly known as the Temple of Ceres), which as Turner shows has six columns at the front and a surviving fragment of the entablature and pediment.1 In the distance to the left can be seen the relative position of the Second Temple of Hera (formerly known as the Temple of Neptune). For a depiction of the western end of the Temple of Athena see folio 32 verso (D15971; Turner Bequest CLXXXVI 30a).
Inverted in the top left-hand corner of the page is a separate study of the interior of the Second Temple of Hera depicting the surviving remains of the pronaos, or inner portico, at one end.2 Turner used a diagram of a similar view during his perspective lectures at the Royal Academy (see Tate D17072; Turner Bequest CXCV 102), almost certainly based upon an original drawing by Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720–1778) in the collection of the architect John Soane.3
For a more detailed discussion and other sketches of the temples see folio 31 (D15968; Turner Bequest CLXXXVI 29).