Joseph Mallord William Turner

View of Tivoli, with the Piazza dell’Olmo and the Cathedral


View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 200 x 253 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CLXXXIII 32

Catalogue entry

Turner’s exploration of Tivoli included a large number of landscape sketches drawn from the river valley to the north. The subject of this drawing is a view looking east from the slopes below the town, at a point opposite the Santuario di Quintiliolo (Church of the Madonna of Quintiliolo). The substructures visible in the centre are those which support the Piazza dell’Olmo (present-day Piazza Domenico Tani), whilst to the right is the campanile of the Cathedral (Duomo) of San Lorenzo. Just visible at the left-hand tip of the promontory is a medieval watch-tower which stands above the valley, and the winding course of the River Aniene. A more detailed view can be found on folio 6 (D15472). Like many drawings within this sketchbook, the composition has been executed over a washed grey background. Turner has created highlights within the work by rubbing or lifting out the wash to reveal the white paper beneath, principally to delineate elements of the architecture and the foreground foliage.
Blank, except for traces of grey watercolour wash

Nicola Moorby
February 2010

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like