Turner was employed briefly in the office of the architect Thomas Hardwick, who was responsible for this church. It was consecrated 24 June 1790; cf.. the sketch of Old Isleworth Church in the Oxford sketchbook (Tate D00040; Turner Bequest II 22). A finished watercolour (presumably based on this drawing but oval, 298 x 419 mm) was executed for Hardwick, and descended to P.C. Hardwick; sale Christie’s, London, 9 April 1920 (148); to D.C. Thomson. Both this and a watercolour of Wanstead Old Church (untraced) were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1887, lent by P. Hardwick. Turner made other drawings for Hardwick, including one of Wanstead Old Church, likewise in an oval, and one of Lambeth Palace (see Oxford sketchbook study: Tate D00038; Turner Bequest II 21).
The sheet also includes studies of mouldings, and blue colour trials at the lower right.
The sheet was formerly laid down. The principal design has been washed with fixative.
Blank; a strip of watercolour visible along left edge; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; the watercolour strip presumably part of a study on a section of the sheet that has been cut away.