Acquired jointly with the National Galleries of Scotland through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
This illustration is an example of the work for which Warhol became renowned as a commercial artist in New York from the early 1950s. It appears to be a design for the cover of the popular American monthly lifestyle magazine, ‘Town and Country’. It demonstrates his intuitive blotted-line technique combined with washes of coloured ink. The colour was possibly added at one of Warhol’s colouring parties, hosted at the fashionable Serendipity 3 café after its opening in 1954. He would encourage his friends – some of whom would have helped him create the original illustrations - to colour the works with an inventiveness that adds to their whimsical nature. This process looks forward to the production methods of Warhol’s legendary studio, The Factory, in the 1960s.