These eight maquettes (small preparatory models) were made for a statue of the eighteenth-century artist, Sir Joshua Reynolds, for the courtyard of Royal Academy’s home, Burlington House, in London’s Piccadilly. Only two sculptors, Derwent Wood and Alfred Drury, were invited to submit proposals. These studies by Wood show Reynolds in various poses, invariably holding a palette and painting brush, the tools of his profession.
In the end the commission was given to Alfred Drury. The statue was put in place in 1931 and still stands outside the Royal Academy.