J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

Joseph Mallord William Turner Sandpits at Fittleworth, with St Mary's Church 1809

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 6 Recto:
Sandpits at Fittleworth, with St Mary’s Church 1809
D07762
Turner Bequest CXII 6
Pencil on white wove paper, 107 x 180 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘Fittleworth’ bottom right
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘6’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CXII 6’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Wilkinson notes ‘a village called Frittleworth, near Petworth’ as the ‘likely subject’ of this and other drawings in the sketchbook, adding his own misspelling to Finberg’s misreading of Turner’s inscription here as ‘Frittlewell’. Butlin, Luther and Warrell were the first to confirm the presence of Fittleworth church, ‘recognisable despite substantial alterations in the nineteenth century’. Presumably this is Finberg’s ‘Yost House’, though what he meant by this is unclear; perhaps an oast house?
Fittleworth is just south-east of Petworth. Sandpits and quarries as seen also on folio 7 (D07763) were common in the area.
Verso:
Blank

David Blayney Brown
June 2009

How to cite

David Blayney Brown, ‘Sandpits at Fittleworth, with St Mary’s Church 1809 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, June 2009, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-sandpits-at-fittleworth-with-st-marys-church-r1135715, accessed 02 October 2014.