Tates success is built on the strength of our ideas. Creative drive infuses every aspect of our organisation. We have a long history of generating significant return on investment for our supporters.
Case study: The BP British Art Displays
BP has supported the display of the collection at Tate Britain for the past 23 years through the BP British Art Displays. The BP British Art Displays presents a rotating selection from the Tate collection.
BPs support allows this rotation to happen on a regular basis, ensuring that the breadth and variety of the national collection of British art from 1500 to the present day is available to the public free of charge.
BP also support a series of festival events – the BP Saturdays – for a variety of age groups, which encourage peoples understanding and enjoyment of British art.
BP has recently committed to supporting Tate for a further five years, taking the partnership into 2017.
Through their support of Tate Britain, BP seeks to:
- Connect people and inspire creativity
- Reach a broad national and international audience
- Promote understanding and enjoyment of art to a wide reaching audience
- Engage with clients through exclusive entertaining
- Engage employees in their arts and culture programme
The partnership consists of three key elements:
- Support of BP British Art Displays
The collection is shown at Tate Britain for free in a series chronological displays and a rolling programme of focus displays throughout the year.
- BP British Art Lecture
A public event for which a high profile guest speaker is invited to discuss British Art.
- BP Saturdays
Four Saturday events across the year, each attracting a particular audience: toddlers and families; children aged between five and twelve and their families; young people; and adults. Each event includes a wide range of participatory sessions and activities to help attendees explore the BP British Art Displays.
In addition to the public activity, each year we create a programme of events for BP employees including private views, workplace talks, evening receptions, family days and workshops.
- Over 31 million visitors have visited Tate Britain during BPs years of support
- Around 70% of visitors to Tate Britain in 2010 came to see the BP British Art Displays
- In 2010 over 7,000 visitors attended the four BP Saturday events
- The BP British Art Lecture has been given by artists and celebrities such as Yinka Shonibare, Jeremy Paxman and Steven Poliakoff