A Russian avant-garde artistic group promoted through the journal of the same name that ran from 1898 to 1905
Serge Diaghilev was instrumental in founding the group and organising its first exhibition in St Petersburg in January 1899. The group offered a focus for post-impressionist, symbolist and aesthetic developments in Russian art, with particular emphasis on the history and folklore of Russia.
Original members included artists Leon Bakst and Ivan Bilibin. Newcomers in the final exhibition of the original group in 1906 included Alexei Jawlenski and Mikhail Larionov.