This particularly strong area of Tates collection features the work of several important British and international printmakers, ranging from Stanley William Hayter to Richard Hamilton and Paula Rego. Among the holdings are important editions from Curwen Studio, Kelpra Studio and Tyler Graphics.
The collection includes:
- prints by British and American pop artists, including Peter Blake, Roy Lichtenstein and Frank Stella
- seminal works by the Young British Artists including Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin and Jake and Dinos Chapman
- original portfolios by artists such as Peter Doig, Anish Kapoor, Rachel Whiteread, Terry Winters and El Lissitzky
- substantial selections from Frank Auerbach, Patrick Caulfield, Dame Elisabeth Frink, David Hockney, Brice Marden, Henry Moore and Sir Eduardo Paolozzi
- works by abstract expressionists including Barnett Newman and Robert Motherwell.
It contains a variety of portfolios which incorporate narrative or showcase the works of several artists, and represents print-making media ranging from monotype to digital.
Prints and Drawings Rooms
The full range of modern and contemporary prints in the collection can be surveyed in the Prints and Drawings Rooms.