Henry Moore (1898–1986) was one of the most significant British artists of his generation. After emerging in the 1920s as a leading avant-garde figure, Moore’s international status was secured in 1948 when he won first prize at the first Venice Biennale since the war.
In the 1950s and 1960s, Moore worked almost exclusively in plaster, to be cast in bronze. This was generally ‘scaled-up’ from hand-sized maquettes. His commercial success meant most of his ideas were realised in two or three different sizes, each being cast in an edition of up to nine. He became known for his public sculpture, large-scale works that were made for locations as diverse as new housing estates in London, the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, and Dallas City Hall.
Moore’s work was consistently associated with landscape and nature. He saw the countryside as the best setting for his sculptures and his forms often derive their shapes from natural objects such as stones, bones and sticks that he found in the countryside and extended with plasticine.
This display has been devised by curator Jenny Powell with Alice Correia.