American abstract painter, lithographer and sculptor. Born in Newburgh, New York. Studied at the Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, 1941-2. Served in the US Army 1943-5, then studied at the Boston Museum School 1946-8. Lived 1948-54 in Paris. Turned in 1949 from paintings of the human figure influenced by Picasso and Klee to abstract art; visited the studios of Brancusi, Vantongerloo, Arp. Made pictures abstracted from fragments of the seen world (windows, plant forms, shadows falling onto a flight of steps, etc.) and others based on regular modules, including composite works assembled from a number of panels each painted a single, uniform colour. First one-man exhibition at the Galerie Arnaud, Paris, 1951. Returned to New York in 1954 and began to make paintings in black and white, or one colour and white, with semi-organic shapes, edge tensions and figure-ground relationships. Awarded one of four equal main prizes for painting at the 1964 Pittsburgh International. From the mid-1960s reverted to the use of opposing colour areas and a modular structure. His sculptures, sometimes in relief, sometimes free-standing, consist of painted cut-out metal shapes related to those in the paintings. Lives in New York.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.383