Spanish painter and sculptor, born in Guadalajara. Began in 1946 to study painting and later sculpture at the School of Arts and Crafts in Madrid. Left for the Argentine in 1949 and studied at the National School of Fine Arts in Buenos Aires 1950-7. Came into contact with the artists of the group Arte Concreto-Invención and with the promoters of the revue Arturo, and began in 1958 to work in a geometric abstract style. Moved to Paris with Le Parc in 1958. In 1959 was making pictures mainly in black and white, with systematic progressions of forms and a visually unstable Op art character. Co-founder with Le Parc, Morellet, Yvaral and others in 1960 of the Groupe de Recherche d'Art Visuel. Began in 1960 to make reliefs and then three-dimensional constructions out of transparent, tinted perspex. Though regular in structure, these works appeared to change on the displacement of the spectator, as a result of effects of juxtaposition and superimposition. First European one-man exhibition with Le Parc at the Galerie Ad Libitum, Antwerp, 1964. Has made several large pieces for open-air sites in relation to architecture, including one 6 metres high in stainless steel for Grenoble (1971). Lives in Paris.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.695