French sculptor of abstract works related to natural forms. Born in Constance, Germany, of an Italian father and a German mother, and brought up in Switzerland. Moved to Paris in 1931 and entered the studio of Malfray and Maillol at the Acadèmie Ranson. Friendship with Etienne Martin. Enrolled in the French Army in 1940 and obtained French nationality. Lived in the South of France during the Occupation (when he lost all his work prior to 1940), then from 1945-9 at Mortagne (Orne). Returned to Paris in 1949 and settled at Meudon. First one-man exhibition at the Galerie Paul Facchetti, Paris, 1953. Collaborated with architects on monumental sculptures in association with architecture, and with Etienne Martin, Delahaye and Poncet on window-reliefs for the church of Baccarat. Opened in 1958 a private school and studio at Meudon, where young sculptors and architects could work on joint projects. Taught at the University of California in 1960 and at Washington University, Seattle, 1961; was afterwards Artist-in-Residence at Stanford University, California, 1964-5, and has received several major commissions for large sculptures in the USA. Lives at Meudon.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.703-4