American sculptor and designer of urban art projects, born in Chicago. Studied at the Syracuse University School of Art 1950-5 under Mestrovic, and began by making carvings of saints and martyrs. Won the Prix de Rome in 1956 and lived 1956-62 in Rome, where he first turned to making semi-abstract bronzes inspired by the shapes of rocks, trees, parts of the human body, etc., partly under the influence of Minguzzi. First one-man exhibition at the Baltimore Museum of Art 1958. Then from 1961-3 his sculpture became more geometric and machine-like, and closer to architecture; made frequent use of a combination of cement and iron. Awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1962. Taught at the School of Visual Arts, New York, from 1965; instructor in the environmental workshop at New York University 1965-71. In the late 1960s gave up the production of 'gallery art' to devote full time to architectural and environmental projects. Organised in 1969 a group called SITE, Inc. for the purpose of exploring new concepts relative to the urban visual environment. Writes extensively on radical architecture for international reviews including Architectural Design in England, Casabella and L'Architettura in Italy, etc. Currently a professor at the New Jersey School of Architecture. Lives in New York.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.763