French painter of landscapes, figures, still life and occasional large decorative compositions; illustrator and engraver. Born in Paris. Studied part-time at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts 1902-6 under Bonnat and L.-O. Merson, supporting himself by designing textiles, jewellery and other applied art. Met Segonzac, Boussingault and L.-A. Moreau. In 1909 studied for several months at the Academie Vitti under Henri Martin. Experimented c.1911-12 with Cubist stylisation and even occasionally with Futurist multiple images, and in 1912 exhibited at the Salon de la Section d'Or, but never departed far from a basically naturalistic, post-Cezannesque vision. His work largely interrupted 1914-19 by war service, but had his first one-man exhibition at the Carfax Gallery, London, in 1915. Visited Russia in 1912 and Syria and the Middle East 1928; painted decorative panels for the Syrian pavilion at the Colonial Exhibition at Vincennes 1931. Worked much in the South of France at Céret, Cagnes, Vence and elsewhere. Illustrated various books with woodcuts or lithographs, including Claudel's Le Chemin de Croix (1918) and Valery's Le Serpent (1927). Died in Paris.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.482-3